Monday, August 3, 2020

I'm Tired

The last couple of weeks have been particularly busy, and I'm tired. And I stayed up too late last night, which didn't help. My fatigue has little to do with a busy schedule or lack of sleep. My weariness goes far beyond being physically tired.

I'm tired of political ads and insults and tweets.

I'm tired of rioting and mayhem.

I'm tired of media who want to control what I think instead of merely reporting facts and letting me decide for myself.

I'm tired of the animosity.


I'm tired of Covid-19.

I'm tired of this election season.

Election seasons have become particularly contentious in recent years. This one is no exception, and I suspect it will only get worse in the next few months. Certainly it is to be expected that people will disagree about candidates and about issues, but our disagreements seem to be more disagreeable than ever before. Social media plays a part in that, to be sure. People will tweet or post things that they would never say to or about another person face to face. The anonymity and lack of accountability that social media brings to our world has brought out the worst in us.

Even beyond that, there's an ugliness in our world these days that is heartbreaking. We're arguing and slinging insults about masks and education and statues and vaccines and everything in between. It's an ugly world out there. And I am weary of it all.

Certainly as Americans we are free to have our own opinions about issue. We are free to express our opinions. Free speech is a right guaranteed to us by the First Amendment.

But does our right to free speech give us the right to insult and demean and belittle? The level of vitriol and rhetoric in our country today far exceeds anything I have seen in my lifetime. What saddens me most about it all is the way even Christians are at each other's throats. Flinging insults at one another.  That sort of behavior wouldn't be particularly surprising coming from the unbelieving world, but it is heartbreaking to see how even Christians are turning on each other.

Is this the way we are modeling Christ to the world? Is this how we are to be salt and light?

I do not mean to say that all who are Christian should line up behind one particular candidate or one particularly political opinion. Each of us must make an individual decision about the issues facing our nation and our world.

We won't all agree. But we don't need to be so disagreeable!
It all makes me tired. And so very sad.


"...nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are on You." (2 Chronicles 20:12 NASB)


No comments:

Post a Comment