Friday, April 17, 2020

Diary of a Pandemic. What Day Is It?




One of the realities of this pandemic season is that I most often have no idea what day it is. Every day seems just like every other. There are no regular events, like going to church on Sunday or going to choir on Wednesday night, that help to define the day. I've begun marking days off on the calendar in an effort to keep on track.

This is such a strange season. No regular Sunday gatherings with my church family. No Sunday after church lunches with friends. No exercise class. No Weight Watcher meetings. No impromptu lunch or dinner get-togethers with friends. And the list could go on....

Many things about life these days are different. I miss the phone calls that say "Did y'all eat yet? Do you want to meet us at...". I miss just wandering through Belk's or Kohl's or some other store, not because I need anything, but just because I enjoy it. I miss grazing the sample stations at Costco. I miss going to church on Sundays. I miss choir practice.

There is much I miss these days. But I'm finding there are some good things about this season.

  • A slower pace of life
  • Remembering that I actually do know how to cook!
  • Not listening for the sound of the alarm clock
  • Taking time to enjoy the sound of birds and the beauty of my neighborhood
  • Time to reflect on how much I have to be thankful for
  • More time for Bible study and prayer
  • More time to read

This list could go on as well.

While there is much about this season that I don't understand, I'm becoming increasingly aware that I don't have to understand it all. Because God does. He knows the end from the beginning. He knows all about what and when and why and how long. And in that I take great comfort.

Certainly I would like this to be over sooner rather than later, but I rest in knowing I don't have to be concerned about that. God is in control. God is God, and we are not. He was and is and always will be sovereign.

I take great comfort in that. Even if I don't know what day it is.

"His dominion is an everlasting dominion, and His kingdom endures from generation to generation. And all the inhabitants of the earth are accounted as nothing, but He does according to His will in the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of earth; and no one can ward off His hand or say to Him, 'What hast thou done?'" (Daniel 4:34-35 NASB)

1 comment:

  1. God has gotten our attention! Now it's time for us to be obedient and listen to His voice as He speaks to us.

    ReplyDelete