Friday, April 3, 2020

Diary of a Pandemic. Are We Having Fun Yet?

"Are we having fun yet?" is one of those Feaster family phrases you will surely hear if you hang around us for very long. Most often, that phrase is used to mean we definitely are not having fun! And that makes it a very appropriate title for this post. This social distancing, sheltering in place, quarantine....whatever it is, it is most definitely not fun!


I miss seeing my friends. I miss eating out in a restaurant. I miss choir practice. I miss my church family. I miss being able to visit my family. There are a lot of things that make this hard.


But if we focus our attention only on how hard it is and how miserable we are, it only becomes harder.


So perhaps a change of focus is in order.
  • What are you thankful for today?
  • What has made you smile today?
  • Who can you encourage today?


Today I'm thankful for the gift of laughter. I learned during my stroke-recovery months how important it is to maintain a sense of humor.


Today I'm thankful that I am able to find things around the house to entertain myself. Thankful for books and music.


Today I'm thankful for the sunshine so I can get my exercise by walking outdoors.


That's the beginning of my list. What's on your list?


In the difficult seasons of my life, I have found comfort in the Psalms. And once again, in this difficult season, that's where I have turned. Currently I'm following a Bible reading plan from @YouVersion called "Psalms and Proverbs in 31 Days".


It's a simply plan, really. You read 5 Psalms and 1 Proverb each day, based on the day of the week. For example, today is the 3rd day of the month, so I read Psalms 3, 33, 63, 93, and 123, along with Proverbs 3. If you decide to begin at the beginning, you would read Psalms 1, 31, 61, 91, and 121, along with Proverbs 1.


Whether you follow this plan, or some other, I encourage yourself to spend time in the scriptures. In these troubling times, they can be a source of great comfort.


"But You, O Lord, are a shield about me, my glory, and the One who lifts my head."
(Psalm 3:3 NASB)

1 comment:

  1. You are such a blessing. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It is so nice to call you FRIEND!

    ReplyDelete