Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Overwhelmed

If you have been following my journey through stroke recovery, you may remember that I have had to deal with some significant vision issues. Immediately following my stroke, I had double vision for several weeks and I wore an eye patch until that cleared up. When I no longer needed the patch, I still had vision issues to deal with. After I had my appointment with the eye doctor a couple of weeks ago, he prescribed new glasses to fix all that.

I confess that I had mixed emotions as we went to pick up the new glasses yesterday. On the one hand, I was excited to be able to see clearly and excited about how clearer vision would made things easier as I navigate this journey of learning to read and write again. On the other hand, I was a little bit fearful that we were expecting too much from these glasses and that I was setting myself up to be disappointed. Did I ever miss the mark on that one!

These new glasses are amazing! I can see! Once again I have underestimated what my God can do!

Yesterday I was completely amazed and overwhelmed, and I remain so this morning. First of all, I am completely in awe of what God has done for me throughout this journey. And yesterday, not only did I get glasses that help me see clearly, but I got so much more. Yesterday afternoon I played the piano, not having to rely on what I might be able to remember, but reading notes off the page. I didn't know if I would ever be able to do that again after the stroke, but God has given me this gift and I am overwhelmed.

As if that weren't blessing enough, I held a book in my hand and read words off the page! That's another thing I didn't know if I would ever be able to do, but I did it! It's still a very slow process. My brain doesn't process things as quickly as it did before. But even though it was much slower than it was before, I read from a book, and I am overwhelmed!

I am overwhelmed by all God's goodness to me. And when I shared on social media yesterday some of yesterday's blessings, I was completely blown away by the responses from family and friends and people I don't even know! Throughout this journey you have all encouraged me more that you can possibly know with your letters and cards and posts. And you did it again yesterday! This morning as I looked back over your comments about my new glasses and about my piano-playing experience, I am overwhelmed.

Certainly these days since November 16 have been challenging. But God has been faithful and gracious, and you have blessed and encouraged me throughout the journey. I keep using the same word over and over this morning, but it's the word that most accurately reflects how I feel. I am overwhelmed!

I received a card in the mail a couple of days ago from a friend who has faithfully encouraged me throughout this journey. This card said "..courage..strength..hope..as you face one day at a time."  Thanks, Marge, for the encouragement and for the reminder.  I've come a long way since that day in November. I have made great progress in my recovery. But there's still a ways to go.  One day at a time!

Thank you to all of you who have encouraged me so much during this journey. Thank you for your cards and notes, but especially for praying. I know that I am where I am today because of your prayers.

Most of all, thank you, Lord, for all you have done for me!


"Great is the LORD and greatly to be praised." (Psalm 48:1)

No comments:

Post a Comment