Friday, November 4, 2016

My Never-Ending Reading List

I recently read a blog post over at SheReads.org titled 4 Novels I Read As A Child That Are Still Informing My Writing Today. The title of the post intrigued me since I am both a reader and a writer.

The writer of that post is younger than I, and the four books she mentioned were not part of my childhood. But reading her post caused me to begin to think about the books I remember from my own childhood. The books I loved most and would return to again and again.

Certainly among my favorites is Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I read Little Women more times than I can count, and I also read Little Men and Jo's Boys. Of the four March sisters in Little Women, Jo was my favorite. Perhaps it's Jo's struggles to be taken seriously as a writer that inspired my own writing journey.

The family dynamic was part of what drew me to Little Women, as well as to Five Little Peppers and How They Grew and to The Bobbsey Twins.

Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew were childhood reading heroines, and Black Beauty by Anna Sewell is on my list of favorites as well. I also loved reading biographies of men and women of days gone by.

All this sounds as though I spent my childhood in the corner of the attic surrounded by books, reading from morning 'til night! Nothing could be further from the truth. I had a very active childhood, with lots of time outdoors and lots of fresh air and sunshine. Even so, there was always time for reading, and my books were among my best friends!

My love of reading continues into the present, and there is currently a rather tall stack of books here on my table awaiting my attention. Earlier this week I finished reading Rules of Murder by Julianna Deering, a fun murder mystery set in 1930s England. It was not nearly so gruesome as many mysteries set in the current day, and had to be solved the old-fashioned way, without benefit of DNA and other technologies. There was some humor and a little bit of romance, along with plenty of twists and turns, so it was a good read.

I'm currently reading The Constantine Codex by Paul L. Maier, which has to do with biblical archaeology. It's a good combination of history and mystery, with fictional archaeologist Jonathan Weber and his wife Shannon discovering what they think may be a discarded biblical manuscript. I'm not too far into this one yet, but I'm enjoying it so far.

Once I finish with The Constantine Codex, I'll be turning my attention to some non-fiction.  The Great Good Thing and I am n are next. Then we'll see what's next after that! My reading list is never-ending!

What are you reading this week?

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment