Thursday, June 28, 2012

Happy Birthday, Brandon!

Today is a special day!  On this day, thirty-four years ago, I awoke at 4:06 AM, arrived at Baptist Hospital at 4:30 AM, and at 5:17 gave birth to a precious bundle of joy that we named Brandon Patrick.  At that moment, 5:17 AM, I forgot all about the "morning sickness" (all nine months, twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week of "morning" sickness!!) and I forgot all about the weeks of bed rest.  I forgot all about the fear that had consumed me when I heard the doctor say, a few weeks previously, "Honey, I don't want you to worry but you could have a stroke."  I forgot all about the pain I had been feeling just moments earlier. 

At that moment, 5:17 AM on June 28, 1978, I forgot about everything except the joy I was feeling right then.  The joy at having another son.  The anticipation of what he would be like as he grew up. Looking forward to introducing him to his big brother.  Seeing the delight on his father's face.  Praising God for this special gift.

At that moment, I forgot about all the sadness of days gone by when we were told we would never have children.  I was rejoicing that, once again, God had shown that He is in control.  That He is a sovereign God.  That He answers prayer. 

Today I'm traveling down memory lane.  Remembering the events of that day, the day that Brandon was born.  And remembering him as a little boy.  Remembering curly blonde hair and a smile that would light up the room. 
Remembering the laughter and the joy that this precious baby boy brought to our lives. 

I'm remembering his first day in kindergarten (and how I cried when I left him there!).  I'm remembering his violin lessons.  And basketball games.  And track meets.  Graduation from high school.  How hard it was to leave him at college in Florida and drive back to Connecticut.  The day he graduated from college.  The day he got married.  The day he became a parent.

I'm bursting with pride today as I reflect on the journey of his life.  I am so incredibly proud of the man he has become.  A great husband and dad.  An outstanding coach.  A role model for the students he teaches and coaches.  A Godly man.  A man after God's own heart.

With a very grateful heart, I thank God today for both my sons.  I am blessed beyond measure that God entrusted them to me.  I am so proud of them.  And today, on his birthday, I pray especially for Brandon.  I'm praying that he will continue to keep his eyes fixed on Jesus.  That he will continue to "grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."(2 Peter 3:18)

Happy Birthday, Brandon.  I love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment