Monday, March 7, 2011

Some Advice from a 104-year-old

We had a very busy weekend.......lots of laughter and good times, but very busy.  On Saturday we went down to Spartanburg for a reunion with some of the pilgrims we had traveled with to the Holy Land last  December.  I was so excited about that.  Saliba, our Israeli guide, was also there and it was wonderful to see him again!

On the way to Spartanburg, we stopped off to visit my soon-to-be 104 year old cousin.  Her birthday is next week.  She and my grandmother were sisters.  It is always an interesting experience to visit Anne.  She lost her sight some time ago, and is now almost deaf.  She has a little bit of hearing in her left ear, so it's best to sit on her left side and then speak very loudly and distinctly.  And I do mean VERY loudly!  But even though she can't see or hear very well, her mind is still very sharp.  And she's as opinionated as she ever was!  (Can you tell we are related??!!)

Just before we left she said she had some advice to give us.  I was very interested to hear that advice......after all, here is a woman who was a college professor; who has traveled the world; who has lived a very long time.  I was ready to hear something really profound.

Here's the advice.......are you ready for this?  This is what she said.......and I'm quoting........"If you ever have to get false teeth, be sure to do it before you are a hundred.  That way you'll have time to get used to them."

So, being the good Southern girl that I am, I said "yes, ma'am", and then I chuckled all the way to the car.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Susan, that is hilarious! My grandma and her mother were both very alert centenarians. How lucky for us! Makes me realize I need to be a really good mom, because I could easily outlive my own generation!

    ReplyDelete