Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Something to Think About

 I have been using the same devotional book - My Utmost for His Highest - for as long as I can remember. And each year I have learned from it and been blessed by it. Each year it speaks to me at a different point.

But there is one point that gets me every time. Every January 3 I have to pause and consider this point. And more so with each passing year.

Chambers had this to say: “If we have never had the experience of taking our casual, religious shoes off our casual, religious feet - getting rid of all the excessive informality with which we approach God - it is questionable whether we have ever stood in his presence.”

Our culture has become increasingly informal, even sloppy, in the way we dress and the way we conduct ourselves. That informality has spilled over into the church. I’m not suggesting we go back to the stiff formality of the Puritans or the Victorians. But I am suggesting that our extreme informality may have gone too far. 

Read the Chambers quote again. Then stop to consider who God is. Reflect on His character and His attributes. His holiness. His majesty. His omnipotence. 

Are we honoring God with our “excessive informality”?

Something to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment