Monday, July 31, 2023

Why? Or Why Not?



Lately I've been wondering about the "why" of a lot of things. And also about the "why nots" as well. Since these meandering thoughts began as I was making the bed, let's just start there.

Why do some people make their bed every day and others do not. I'm one of those who makes the bed every day and can't imagine not doing that. But I know many people who don't, which leaves me wondering why. Is it laziness? Is it that there just isn't enough time in the day for that? Is it some sort of rebellion? Against bedmaking? Against parents who forced you to make your bed when you were a child? Or is there some other reason that hasn't even occurred to me?

What about women who wear makeup and those who don't. (I'm not even going to address men who do wear makeup. I'm not going there!) As to makeup, I'm not talking about full-on glamour for the red carpet. I'm just referring to the everyday judicious use of some cosmetics. I'm in the makeup-wearing category, which I choose because I look better with a little help, and that in turn makes me feel better. But many women choose the no-makeup approach. And again, I'm just wondering why. This is not a judgment; just a question. Is it laziness? Or because they just don't have time for that? Maybe it's allergies. Or personal preference. I realize some people really like the "natural look". For me, however, and perhaps for most people beyond the age of 25 or 30, the "natural look" isn't all that great!

There are a number of other why or why not questions that come to mind, but I won't belabor the point. Many of these issues come down to personal preference. So let's consider a couple of why nots that are much more serious - Bible reading and church attendance.

If you are a follower of Christ, how often do you read your Bible? Every day? Occasionally? Never? Have you actually read the Bible, the book you profess to believe, in its entirety? Or when you do read it, do you only go to the parts you like and ignore the rest? This leads me back to the original question of this post....why or why not. Perhaps lack of Bible reading is an issue of laziness, or perhaps you think you just don't have time. Perhaps you think Bible reading is just for pastors or religious zealots. Or perhaps you don't read your Bible because you aren't interested in what it has to say. Why - or why not - is your answer when it comes to Bible reading.

If you are a follower of Christ, are you a member of a local church? Do you attend that church regularly? Did you go yesterday? Why or why not? 

The same questions apply. Is it an issue of laziness? Lack of interest? Priorities? Do you think church attendance is only for pastors and religious zealots?

When I was growing up, our pastor used to often say that people come to church on Sunday because they love their church; they come to church on Sunday night because they love their pastor; and they come on Wednesday night because they love God. Of course, in those days it was common to have those three services each week. These days, most churches rarely have either a Sunday evening or Wednesday evening church service. Those have now been replaced with "activities" or with "family time". Again, the question is why?

But if you are one of those who did attend a service at your church yesterday, why did you do it? Was it out habit? Or to see your friends? Was it for the fellowship? Was it because it was expected of you

Or did you go to church yesterday focused on worshiping God?

Something to think about.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment