Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Strength

 “The Lord is my strength and my song…..” (Psalm 118:14 NASB)


One of my favorite worship songs to come out in the last 30-40 years is a song written by Dennis Jernigan called “You Are My All In All”. It’s one of those songs of worship we sing back to God.

The first line of that song (“You are my strength when I am weak…”) is a line we can all probably relate to, at least on some level. Most of us feel weak at some point, whether physically or emotionally, or even spiritually.

This worship song is reminiscent of a much older song first published about 100 years ago with this beautiful lyric: “Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow……”. And you can probably finish the line:  “Great is Thy faithfulness, Lord, unto me.”

May is Stroke Awareness Month. As a stroke survivor, I am keenly aware that my strength is all and only from the Lord. Without Him, I would not have survived. Without Him, I would not have made it through the grueling months of rehab, and without Him, I would not be able to continue to function as well as I do. He is my strength when I am weak.

My mother was also a stroke survivor, and was an inspiration to me when I faced my own stroke challenge. Although she had multiple strokes which left her with many challenges, she never lost her sense of humor and she never lost her joy in the Lord. Mother had always been small in stature, what some might have once referred to as frail, but she was mighty in spirit.  Because the Lord was her strength when she was weak.

In my months of learning to walk and talk and read and write again, there were many verses from the Bible that were called to my mind. And there were favorite songs that were called up from deep in my memory bank. Even when I couldn’t sing them, I could remember the words. These things gave me strength.

They reminded me of God’s great faithfulness. That He is my strength, even when I am weak. That He gives strength for each new day. When I am physically weak. When I am tired. When I am lonely. On every day, and in every situation, He is my strength when I am weak. All I have needed, His hand has provided. Great is His faithfulness.


“O my strength, I will sing praises to You; For God is my stronghold, the God who shows me loving kindness.” (Psalm 59:17 NASB)


You Are My Strength When I Am Weak.  https://youtu.be/xDZZ0-F5EKk

Great Is Thy Faithfulness. https://youtu.be/ErwiBz1QA4o

1 comment: