Thursday, July 7, 2016

Slow Down

As I walked around my neighborhood earlier this morning, I heard birds singing.  I noticed the beauty of the blooms on the crape myrtle trees that line our neighborhood streets.  I heard bees buzzing as they harvested nectar from those blooms.  I heard the sound of a waterfall in a neighbor's garden.  It was a quiet morning, and I was in no particular hurry to finish my walk.  There was a gentle breeze blowing.

It occurred to me as I walked that most of the time we miss out on things like birds singing and flowers blooming because, here in 21st century America, we're always in too big a hurry.  We're too busy to notice the little things.

Simon and Garfunkel once sang, "Slow down, you move too fast......"

That was back in the 20th century.  How much more true is it today than it was then.

Most of us, most of the time, are rushing through life at a whirlwind pace!  We're living life more like we're speeding down the freeway than taking a drive down a quiet country road.

And because we are always in such a hurry, I fear we are missing out on some of the most important things in life.  A quiet conversation with a neighbor that is more than just a quick hello on the way to somewhere else.  Listening to the sounds of birds singing in the morning breeze.  Hearing the sound of a neighbor's waterfall.  Maybe we're even missing hearing that still, small voice of God because we're so busy.

The Psalmist wrote, "Be still, and know that I am God."  (Psalm 46:10).

Notice that he didn't write "Be busy, and know....." or "Hurry up, and know......"

Be still.....

Slow down, you move too fast.....

It's good advice.  Slow down.  Whether you live in a suburban neighborhood, as I do, or in a more rural setting.  Whether you live in a high-rise in the big city, or out in the country.  No matter where you live, or what's on your plate for today, don't be in such a hurry!

Slow down. Take some deep breaths.  Celebrate the little things, like bees buzzing.  Like the colors and textures of leaves.  Like petting the neighbor's dog.

Listen.  To the birds.  To the sound of a gentle breeze.

And especially, listen for the still, small voice of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment