Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving Flashbacks

The day before Thanksgiving.  I'm watching the snow fall and feeling very thankful for my warm home.  I'm feeling a little nostalgic this morning, remembering previous holidays. 

The snow this morning has given me flashbacks to Thanksgivings and Christmases when we lived in other parts of the country and were among the frazzled travelers trying to make it home for the holiday.  I remember lots of snowy travel days, leaving from the old Stapleton Airport in Denver, flying to Chicago and then south from there.  Long lines.  Lots of delays.  So, on this day before Thanksgiving, I'm counting my blessings, thankful that I don't have to do that this year!  And, although there's a lot of driving involved, I'm thankful that my family won't be doing that either.  I'm praying for their safety as they are on the highways with all the other people who are trying to get somewhere today!  And realizing, of course, that their drive will be a bit more complicated once they encounter the snow. 

Lots to pray about this morning.  And lots to be thankful for.  As I've been counting my blessings, among them are precious memories of previous Thanksgivings.

A few of my favorite memories...
  • when Brian was in kindergarten, his class made pilgrim hats and collars for their Thanksgiving feast. When he got home, he found construction paper, glue and scissors, and made a set for his little brother so that Brandon would have the same thing he had.
  • when Brandon was in kindergarten, his class made similar hats and collars, and as they sat around the table for their feast, they recited this prayer together: "For food and all the gifts of love, we give Thee thanks and praise. Look down, O Father, from above, and bless us all our days." That prayer has stuck in my memory ever since.
  • remembering Thanksgiving dinners from my childhood.......Mother would set the table with the "good" china that only got used on Thanksgiving and Christmas. We would crowd around the dining room table (also rarely used!).......Grndmother Neil, Uncle JB, Daddy's cousins Anne and Richard (brother and sister, neither of whom ever married),and the four of us.
  • day-after-Thanksgiving Christmas shopping in Spartanburg with Mother. When we got home from that all-day adventure, we wrapped gifts together.
  • the smell of a fire burning in the fireplace. The fireplace (which was rarely used) was in the living room (also rarely used), and we typically only had a fire on Thanksgiving and Christmas.......no matter how hot it was......and sometimes in SC, Thanksgiving Day is not exactly build-a-fire kind of weather! But we did it anyway.  I miss that smell.  (We have gas logs in our fireplace.)
Wonderful memories of Thanksgivings past.  Anticipation of Thanksgivings future.  And so much excitement about Thanksgiving present.  Sharing this holiday weekend with my family.  Acknowledging God's goodness.  Reflecting on how very blessed we are.

Giving thanks.  For a warm home.  For family.  For time together.  For good food in abundance. 

Giving thanks.  For all things.  Even for snow!

"Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."  (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment