Friday, April 19, 2013

When Will It End?

A few minutes ago I learned that the National Weather Service has issued a freeze warning for tonight for NC mountain locations above 3500 feet.  I live in such a location.  My response has been things like.....Good Grief!.....You've got to be kidding!  And similar sentiments.  Just when we thought spring had finally begun to show up here in these mountains, here comes a reminder of winter.  Again.  When will it end??

As I type, I'm listening to news reports of a manhunt in Boston, efforts to capture the remaining suspect in this week's bombing at the Boston Marathon.  On this anniversary of the bombing in Oklahoma City twenty years ago, the suspect in this most recent bombing is on the loose somewhere in Boston.  And while we in this country have not had to deal with bombings and terrorist acts on our own soil in the same way as citizens in many other parts of the world, this is all too real and too close to home for comfort.  And we wonder when it will ever end.  Is terrorism  the new "normal" in our country?  How I pray not.  But current events certainly seem to indicate that "normal" has changed.

This really shouldn't come as a surprise to us.  The Apostle Paul, in his second letter to Timothy, warned us that such things would happen.  No, he didn't use the word "terrorism" or warn against IEDs and bombs.  But he did warn that difficult times would come.

"But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty."                (2 Timothy 3:1 ESV). 

This second letter to Timothy was the last of Paul's letters, written very near the end of his life.  I think we can safely assume that Paul was aware that the end of his life was near, as he was writing from a Roman prison.  I think we can also safely assume that, because he knew the end was near, he was not wasting words.  That he was telling Timothy the things he thought it most important for Timothy to know.  Important for us to know, as well. 

Paul was saying to Timothy, and by extension to us, that there are tough times ahead.  Would any of us argue that we are not living in tough times?  Read the next verses in chapter 3.  Paul describes what will come.....a description that certainly fits the times in which we live.

"For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power."  (2 Timothy 3:2-5 ESV)

How are we to respond in such difficult times?  When will it all end?

Consider the first question.  Did Paul just forecast tough times with no clue as to how to handle it?  Not at all.  Consider some of his instructions to Timothy:

"Fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you."  (2 Timothy 1:6 ESV)

"Guard the treasure which has been entrusted to you."  (2 Timothy 1:14 NASB)

"Be diligent to present yourself approved to God as a workman who does not need to be ashamed, accurately handling the word of truth."  (2 Timothy 2:15 NASB)

"Pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace.......have nothing to do with foolish, ignorant controversies."  (2 Timothy 2:22, 23 ESV)

"Preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with complete patience and teaching."  (2 Timothy 4:2 ESV)

It is clear that we are not just dropped into difficult circumstances without a clue as to what to do.  Paul is very clear in this letter, and we have the full counsel of the Word of God and the Holy Spirit within us, so that we know what to do and how to conduct ourselves, no matter how difficult the times or our circumstances may be.

When will it all end?  We don't know, not exactly.  But we do know that it will end.  Christ will return!  We don't know the exact day of His return, but we do know with certainty that He will return!  We know that He will return because He said that He would!  ("I go to prepare a place for you, and if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am there you may be also."  John 14:2-3 ESV)

And so, until then, until Christ returns, while we are in the midst of "difficult times", what are we to do?

"As for you, always be sober-minded, endure suffering, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry."  (2 Timothy 4:5 ESV, emphasis mine)

But until then my heart will go on singing,
Until then with joy I'll carry on,
Until the day my eyes behold the city,
Until the day God calls me home
.
(-Stuart Hamblen)

When will it end?  I don't know.  But I do know, with confident assurance, that it will end. Until then, I say with the Apostle Paul, that no matter what is going on in the world around me, and no matter what my personal circumstances may be, in good times and in bad, in want and in plenty, whether in peace or in chaos, "I know whom I have believed, and I am persuaded that he is able to keep that which I have committed unto him against that day."  (2 Timothy 1:12b KJV)

"He who testifies to these things says, "Surely I am coming soon."  Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!"  (Revelation 22:20 ESV) 

No comments:

Post a Comment