Thursday, April 12, 2012

Incredible Journey

A couple of weeks have passed since my last post......not because I deliberately decided not to post.  But sometimes life gets a little busy and the calendar gets a little cluttered and things just don't get done.  As I look back on the last couple of weeks, I'm not really sure why it feels that I've been so busy - because I'm not sure that I have been - but somehow it feels that way.  Going in circles can have that effect, can't it?  But it's all part of the journey, my incredible journey.

Back when I first began my Mary Kay career and attended my first of the Company's annual seminars, the theme of Seminar that year was "Incredible Journey".  I still have a well-worn t-shirt with that Seminar's logo on it.  As I pulled that t-shirt out a couple of days ago to wear while exercising, I began to focus on those two words......incredible journey.  Before you tune me out, this is not a post about exercise (which I loathe!) or about Mary Kay (which I love!).  Rather, it's about those two words.....incredible journey.....as a metaphor for my life.

Life is a journey, isn't it?  And we never actually arrive at our destination, at least not in this life!  There's always "one more mountain to climb, one more river to cross," as the song says.  And all the events along the way, from birth to the time when we leave this life, are part of our journey.

My journey has been incredible!  It isn't my intention to use this post as an autobiography, to give you a listing of all my life's events - the wonderful things that have happened along the way, as well as the not so wonderful - but rather to give you my perspective on life as well as to perhaps cause you to pause and ponder your own journey.

I had a wonderful childhood.  I had amazing parents.  I have the best husband ever!  I could go on and on about the blessings of my life. 

Like any journey, my life has had moments of beautiful scenery.  Mountaintop experiences with amazing views.  Overwhelming moments of joy.  And along the way, there have been potholes.  Ruts in the road.  Times in the valley.  (And that's a good thing......how can we fully appreciate the mountaintop if we've never been in the valley???). 

If you have ever been on a road trip through some of the western states, or perhaps in the deserts of Africa, you can appreciate that sometimes the journey is a bit monotonous......it all looks the same!  And life is like that sometimes.....a bit monotonous, just going through the motions.   But then.....over the next hill or around the next curve is something amazing that you could never have anticipated!

My life has been like that.  And yours as well, I would venture to say, if you would stop a moment to think about it.  And so that's my challenge to you today.  Take your eyes off your immediate circumstances and look at the big picture.  Let's keep remembering that all the events of our lives are part of the journey......

And today, whether you are on the mountaintop, or in the valley, or on a detour, or in a rut......keep your eyes fixed on Jesus and enjoy the journey!

"......let us lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus......"   (Hebrews 12:1-2  NASB)

No comments:

Post a Comment