Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What I've Been Up To

How does time pass so quickly? How is it that I am still essentially a one-legged person, yet somehow manage to stay so busy that nothing gets done? Well, obviously some things get done....but there are so many things on my I-want-to-do list that don't get done! I can't really understand it. Of course, part of the not-getting-anything-done dilemma could have something to do with how much time I have been wasting on line.....specifically on Facebook, playing silly games like Farmville and FarmTown and Cafe World and Sorority Life. Colossal time wasters! Immediately post-surgery those were good things to pass the time while I was not able to get around well at all. They have since fulfilled that purpose and now serve absolutely no purpose at all!

Since I last posted, I have exchanged my pretty pink cast for an ugly, clunky black boot. The good news about the black boot is that I am now starting to walk again, although it's a very slow, awkward process right now. The boot is heavy, and because it makes one leg longer than the other, my balance is a little off. That probably also has something to do with not walking for about 6 weeks. But each day gets a little better. By the end of the day I am tired and my foot is swollen, but I'm thankful to be walking again. And I'm so very glad to be able to have "real" showers again! I still can't put any weight on my foot without the boot on, but that will come soon. And in spite of all the things I could find to complain about right now, the bottom line is that I'm not having any pain and that is a very good thing!

All my recovery time hasn't been wasted on Facebook. I've done a lot of reading. And I read something about a week ago that I can't get out of my mind. A devotional book I have been using had a reading based on the 13th chapter of 1 Corinthians, the "love chapter".
1 Corinthians 13 is a beautiful description of what love is, but as the devotional writer pointed out, it's a description of love in general. What would happen if we made it personal? What if, instead of saying "love is patient, love is kind, love does not envy, love is not arrogant, love is not rude," we personalized that. So, I would then read the passage as "Susan is patient, Susant is kind, Susan does not envy, Susan is not arrogant, Susan is not rude, Susan does not insist on her own way, Susan is not irritable, Susan is not resentful......."

The reality is that I could not make those statements about myself. I am often irritable. I do often insist on my own way. I am not always kind. I am from time to time impatient or even rude. So I find myself really convicted by this passage of Scripture as this author has forced me to examine myself in its light. I'm sure it's no accident that I came across this particular reading, but that God is speaking to me through the convicting power of His Holy Spirit. I've become very aware of how often my thoughts and my words don't line up with what love is. Way more often that I really want to admit. So that's something I'm working on.

And that's what I've been up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment