Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Books

I love to read! Reading has been one of my favorite things since I was a very small child, about age 4, and could actually read books for myself! My next door neighbor, who was several years older than I, shared her Dick and Jane books with me and I learned to read. Long before I ventured into the hallowed halls of O. P. Earle Elementary School as a timid first grader, Dick and Jane and the rest of the gang were my good friends! In the many years that have passed since then, I have read many, many books......far more than I could begin to count.

As we entered 2009 one of my goals was to read deep rather than wide this year. I enjoy reading all kinds of books....both fiction and non-fiction.....I love mysteries, crime thrillers and historical romances as well as biographies, books on Christian living, books about prophecy and end times.....all kinds of books! I'm not sure that I am completely accomplishing my goal, as some of the books I have read so far this year would certainly not qualify as "deep", although some do. Among the goals yet to be accomplished are to re-read the novels of Jane Austen and Charles Dickens, two of my all-time favorite authors.

In any event, to keep myself focused on the goal, I have decided to make a list of the books I have read so far. I'll add to this list periodically as the year progresses, and in the end, we'll see if I have accomplished what I set out to do. So, here goes......here's what has been read so far (not in any particular order, except as I have remembered them):

Thorn in My Heart (Liz Curtis Higgs)
Fair Is the Rose (Liz Curtis Higgs)
Whence Came a Prince (Liz Curtis Higgs)
Grace in Thine Eyes (Liz Curtis Higgs)
Israel, My Beloved (Kay Arthur)
Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World (Weaver)
Having a Mary Spirit in a Martha World (Weaver)
The Atonement (John Grisham)
Epicenter (Joel Rosenberg)
Divine Justice (David Baldacci) note: this sounds like a "Christian" book, but the title actually comes from the name of the fictional town in which the action primarily takes place....Divine, Virginia)
Heart and Soul (Maeve Binchy)
Bruchko (Bruce Olson)
Season of Blessing (Beverly LaHaye and Terri Blackstock)
Scarpetta (Patricia Cornwell)
Rivals for the Crown (Kathleen Givens)
Tail Spin (Catherine Coulter)

I'll update the list from time to time. In the meantime, if you know of a good book, I'm always open to recommendations!

No comments:

Post a Comment